Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Share what you are doing with confidence!

I want to share a story with you - a turning point in my life and the lives of my children.

As you read in 'My Story', I chose to feed my children well from the time they were born.  But unfortunately, I often did it with shame and guilt.  So often, family and friends would tell me that I was depriving my children of the good things in life and that they would rebel when they became teenagers (which I can happily tell you is not true!).  It was a very difficult time.

To make matters worse, the public school that Tom attended used M&M's almost daily to teach math, frequently gave out birthday sweets, and provided cupcakes and cookies at holidays.  All of these were brightly colored with lots of artificial dyes and flavors.  I asked them not to give them to my son, but I think that made the situation worse.  They now seemed to purposely make sure to offer him the treats.  Poor Tom did not understand;  he wanted to fit in and those sweets tasted quite good.

Finally, in second grade, during the Halloween party, after eating the Halloween candy that was being passed out, Tom threw up right there in the classroom!  I was so happy.  I now told the nurse that he had food allergies and should not be given anything that had artificial flavors or colors, because it made him throw up.  This was somewhat true, his system was overloaded by the junk food which it was not used to.  Bingo - he was watched very closely and given no more classroom sweets (teachers do not want children throwing up in class).  One hurdle overcome, one to go.

The new problem was that Tom now wanted those treats and felt like an outcast.  I tried to send healthy alternatives but the kids teased him and made fun of him.  I spent a lot of time in prayer, asking God for help in this area, and as always, God blessed us above and beyond my expectations.

Soon the Christmas party came.  The moms were making slice-and-bake Christmas cookies for the class, and I was sending a treat for Tom.  It was Christmas and I wanted to do something really special to make him feel better about his 'different' diet.  I got out a pretty metal Christmas tin and filled it with wonderful homemade healthy treats.  I made orange scones, my Mary's cookies, raspberry topped cookies, popcorn, and trail mix. 

Guess what happened next!  I picked up Tom from school and he had a huge smile pasted on his face.  I asked, "Did you have fun at the party?"  He said, "Mom, all the other kids were jealous of my Christmas treats and asked why they had to eat the cheap cookies instead."  Never again did my children feel deprived, instead they felt blessed by God to be so fortunate to enjoy good quality foods.  It obviously changed my viewpoint too - I no longer felt I needed to be ashamed about what I was doing or defend my right to eat well. 

Be proud that you are eating the best foods and that you are feeding them to your family.  Share your new insight with others, and don't be intimidated.  I think you will soon be amazed how many people are very interested in eating better, and who will want to join with you.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  Romans 12:2

Enjoy God's perfect foods.


3 comments:

  1. This is such a great story and encouragement to me as a mom of young children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your experience with us. Food can be a very personal and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story! It gives me great encouragement as my children are 1 and 4 and I can already tell school is going to be a tricky situation when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete