Friday, January 25, 2013

January 2013 Class - Grapefruit & Oranges

Hands-on Demonstrations:  Fresh Fruit Options, Part 1

Grapefruits and oranges are both citrus fruits, and readily available in the winter.  Since in Texas we typically have an abundance of beautiful grapefruit and it is one of the 'clean' fruits, I usually do not buy organic grapefruit.  The local, conventional grapefruit is more readily available than organic, it typically looks better, and it is very reasonably priced.  However, since organic oranges are readily available and reasonably priced, and I know that the conventional oranges are heavily sprayed with pesticides, I always buy organic. 

These winter fruits are very high in vitamin C and contain a number of natural phytochemicals and other powerful nutrients, which boost your immune system and promote healing and long life.  Unfortunately, since grapefruit has such powerful properties and increases your body's ability to absorb nutrients, it has been found to increase the bio-availability of many man-made drugs. 

I prefer eating God's delicious foods which contain all the nutrients I need to stay healthy so that I don't have to take any man-made drugs.  I have seen many people, who have switched to a diet of God-made foods, eliminated all the over-the-counter and prescription medications that they had been taking, and then enjoyed all of the foods that God has given us, including grapefruit.  Of course, this needs to be done under a doctor's supervision since man-made prescription medications have so many, potentially lethal side-effects.

Grapefruit and oranges are two of the many excellent winter fruits.


 1.  Grapefruit

Grapefruit is delicious once you master how to eat it.  I don't like to struggle with my grapefruit or waste it, so I spend a little extra time upfront cutting it.


To prepare a grapefruit, find its end 'spots' - the navel and opposite side - and cut it in half on a cutting board between these end 'spots'. 



I use my 'special' grapefruit knife, shown in the top photo, to cut along the sections.  This precious knife, a thin-blade serrated knife, was purchased from a garage sale over 30 years ago!  Your kitchen utensils don't have to be expensive.  A paring knife would work well too. 

I cut each section from the center to the edge, and then I cut the back edge of each section.  (I find the pieces come out better if I don't cut through the membrane between each section when going around the edge and it is easier to cut.) 





All done - scoop out now with a spoon and enjoy.  I like to use a grapefruit spoon.  After I finish eating the cut pieces, I squeeze all the juice out and drink it.  I love the taste of a fresh grapefruit with no added sugar or salt.  Of course, you can also peel a grapefruit like an orange. 




















2.  Orange

My family both peels our oranges and cut them into wedges.  Either way, try not to pull all the white pith off - it contains the highest concentration of the beneficial flavonoids (powerful anti-oxidants) contained in the orange.


I cut an orange in the opposite direction of a grapefruit. Cut down through the navel.  Then cut off wedges. 








To eat, pull the corners of the peel back and you can pull the section out easily with your teeth without getting juice all over your face.

 
 
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant of the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.'" Genesis 1:29



No comments:

Post a Comment