Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yellow Rice

 
I developed this recipe because Jon, my youngest, did not like the brown rice I was cooking in chicken broth.  Since I wanted my boys to love good foods, I did a lot of experimenting with dishes they didn't enjoy when they were younger.  It paid off because now they love and desire to eat only real foods made from scratch and are even cooking and experimenting with recipes themselves.  I also wanted to incorporate turmeric into our diets (it is a spice with amazing healing powers).  

Jon loves this rice, as has everyone who has tried it.  This is a staple that I keep in my refrigerator, making a batch or two each week for the last several years.  I have given you our standard recipe; just cut everything in half if this quantity is too large for you.  Take a little extra time and add the optional ingredients for greater healing power.  This is incredibly easy to make and is a great base to go with so many dishes, such as chilies or stews.
 
Yellow Rice
 
4 cups filtered water
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp turmeric
 
Place water, sea salt and turmeric in your rice pot.  Bring to a boil.
 
2 cups brown rice (I typically use organic long grain)
 
Add rice and bring to second boil.  Place tight fitting lid on pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.  Turn off heat and let sit at least 5 to 10 minutes to absorb the remaining liquid before serving.
 
(Optional)
¼ cup finely diced yellow onion
3 – 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
~ 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
~ 1/2 Tbl organic extra virgin olive oil

Sauté above optional ingredients in olive oil and add to water and spices.  Bring to boil and continue with directions above.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is the best recipe, especially with the optional ingredients! I got it from Mary a couple years ago, and we eat it about every other week. I occasionally cook it in the oven in a casserole dish at 400 for 50-60 minutes, depending on your oven. If your oven has a timer, set it to shut off and let it rest in the oven to absorb the rest of the liquid. I also occasionally add chopped almonds to give it a little crunch. Thank you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete