Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cold Kale Salad

 
 
 
Trust me on this one - this salad is absolutely delicious.  Tom and I fight over who gets the last of it!  Even I was leery when I first heard of it but I was amazed - it has the perfect combination of flavors.  Kale is one of the winter greens that is extremely healthy and this is a great way to eat your kale.  For the salad above, I used both a green and a reddish tinged variety of kale that were on sale at Whole Foods.
 
 
Ingredients (I use all organic):
 
1 bunch kale, deribbed, pulled into bite size pieces
1 medium tomato, chopped
¼ cup red onion, julienned fine
4 oz. feta cheese (I like Organic Valley)
 
Steam the kale lightly for 10 min, drain, and then chill immediately.  The kale can be made a day ahead.  Add the tomatoes and red onion.  Crumble the feta cheese and add,  then mix together. 
 
Toss with vinaigrette.
 
Vinaigrette:
 
1 Tbl organic extra virgin olive oil (I use Montebello)
1 - 2 cloves minced fresh garlic cloves
½ Tbl raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's)
a pinch sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 Tbl. finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)



No comments:

Post a Comment