Saturday, April 13, 2013

Scottish Oat Muffins



Muffins with some fruit and a glass of fresh milk is one of my favorite breakfasts.  I buy antique cookware and actually use it.  I make my muffins in cast iron muffin tins which I have picked up at antique shops.  This is a double recipe; I put the extras in the freezer for a quick breakfast later.

Ingredients:

2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
2 cup homemade kefir (or buttermilk)
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 free range eggs, fork beaten
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 3/4 cups wheat berries (I use a mix of prairie gold and soft white wheat berries)
  or 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine sea salt

Preheat oven to 375 °F.  Soak oats in kefir (buttermilk) for 15 minutes.  Melt coconut oil and stir into oat mixture.  (Be sure you follow the order of the instructions or the coconut oil will harden and not be dispersed evenly.)  Stir in eggs and maple syrup.  Mix together the dry ingredients.  Stir dry ingredients in wet ingredients.  Don't over mix batter.


Place muffin tins in heated oven for a minute or two, remove and grease with butter.  Fill muffin cups about 2/3's full.  Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until firm and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment