Monday, June 3, 2013

Freshly Ground Flax Seed


 
Ground flax seed is an excellent source of good fat and antioxidants.  It is one of the few foods, other than fish, that contains Omega-3 fatty acid.  Flax seed also contains fiber and thus helps keep the gut cleaned out.  The health benefits of flax are numerous, and well-documented.  Do a Google search if you are interested in learning more or just add it to your diet.  But when you do, read the rest of this post because ground flax seed is seriously misused and mis-marketed.
 
I recommend always grinding your flax when needed because it's nutritional value deteriorates so quickly and it is so easy to grind fresh.

 
I have a small coffee grinder which I use exclusively for grinding flax or other seeds such as sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (I use my grinder almost daily).  Place the quantity of seeds into the coffee grinder and process.  It is as easy as that.

 
The ground flax can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, and cold cereal breakfasts.  I like to use it in our breakfast foods, but it can be sprinkled onto or stirred into just about anything from salads to stews.
 
Here are some important tips concerning ground flax seeds:
 
1.  NEVER cook with it or heat it.  Flax seeds deteriorate very quickly even at room temperature and turn rancid upon heating.  It is so easy to grind and add the flax after you have cooked something and removed the food from the heat (such as oatmeal right before serving).
 
2.  Grind fresh when needed.  I do not recommend grinding in advance and then storing even if you are storing the ground flax in the refrigerator or freezer.  Maximize the quality of nutrients your body will receive from the flax by grinding it fresh.  NEVER buy flax seed that is already ground.

 


3.  Store your whole flax seeds in the refrigerator or freezer.  I store mine in a glass jar in the refrigerator with my nuts (it is the jar in the back row with the yellow cap), and keep extra packages in the freezer. 

4.  I buy golden, organic flax seed.  It has a mild flavor and looks appetizing.  Flax seed also comes in a brown color, which is usually less expensive.  I do buy organic, brown flax seeds too - I use them in my chicken feed.  Either is fine to use.

5.  Place your flax coffee grinder on your counter or in a place easily accessible so that you use it regularly.  Also, you do not have to clean it after each use.  I grind the flax or other seeds and then wipe the excess out that sticks to the sides with my finger.  If you are constantly washing the cup, it will become a hassle and you won't use it.  Again, I use my grinder almost daily.  I purposely did not clean it for the photo (you can see the powder in the cup and cap in the photo with the whole flax seeds).

6.  Flax seeds are a great choice to keep you regular.  If you do not have flax in your diet, start with 1/2 to 1 tsp per person.  You can build up to about 1 Tbl per person.  I never measure mine out, I just pour in the amount that looks like the right quantity.  For our oatmeal or fruit smoothies (for 3 or 4 persons), I fill up the grinder cup to just under the blades (as shown).  Measure the amount you use though at first.  Start with a smaller amount and build up because ground flax seed can have a very 'cleansing' short-term effect on your digestive system (mild diarrhea).

2 comments:

  1. Do you have to grind it or can you use it as is? This also means that I shouldn't bake with it anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, If you use it whole, it acts as fiber but you do not receive the many nutritional benefits because you don't digest it. I don't ever bake with flax, though it is good added whole to breads. You would never want to grind it and add it to a batter and bake it. I bought my grinder at Target for about $20 - it is definitely a good purchase. So yes, you want to grind it and you don't want to bake with it (unless adding whole flax seeds for taste).

    ReplyDelete