Saturday, August 3, 2013

Blueberry Muffins



This blueberry muffin recipe is one of the first ones that I converted to healthy ingredients.  So easy to convert most recipes once you know a few little tricks.  Will share those soon.  You can use fresh (which I used today) or frozen blueberries.  I only use organic berries.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups soft white wheat berries, ground fine
  (or 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour)
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 range-free eggs, fork beaten
1 1/8 cups fresh milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup pure honey
2 cups blueberries (thawed if frozen)

Combine flour, baking powder, sea salt and nutmeg in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, melted butter, honey and vanilla.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into center.  Gently mix, incorporating dry ingredients from the edges.  Don't over mix. 

Dry blueberries after rinsing, if using fresh.  If using frozen blueberries, thaw and place on paper towel.  Then sprinkle some flour on the blueberries to lightly coat them.  This trick is one I read in a Martha Stewart magazine and works great to keep the blueberries from bleeding into the batter and turning it blue.

Add blueberries to batter and gently mix.  Grease muffin tins with butter and fill 2/3's full.  I like to use my antique cast iron pans, shown in the photo below.  I bought them on Ebay and at antique stores to avoid the non-stick coatings on the newer pans of today (I have several cast iron ones and I love them!). 

Bake at 375 °F for 20 - 25 minutes until lightly browned.  My bake time in my oven is 22 minutes.  Remove from pans and allow to cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment