Monday, August 12, 2013

Fruit Salad

 

This may not seem like it needs a recipe, but I am amazed  by how many people ask me how to make my delicious fruit salad.  So today I will describe what I do - it is so very, very simple.  The key is to use only fresh fruits in season and nothing else.  Don't add any sugar or even honey or any sweetener to your fruit salad.
 
Ingredients:
 
Fresh fruits in season - I like to use about 5 different fruits.
 
I usually begin with watermelon filling the bowl 1/3 to 1/2 full with watermelon cubes.  I typically purchase conventional watermelon (they are not one of the dirty dozen but are on the clean 15 list). 
 
Next I add cantaloupe cubes.  I purchase either organic or conventional cantaloupe, depending upon what is available (but only conventional cantaloupe that has been grown in the USA - see clean 15 list).
 
We have been fortunate to have a very long season of organic strawberries this year.  I next add about two cups of strawberries that I have de-stemmed and cut in half or quartered, depending on size.  I never buy conventional strawberries, which are one of the dirty dozen list.  Buy organic.
 
Next I like to add organic blueberries, about a cup or two.  Again I only buy organic blueberries, which have been plentiful this year also.  I have been getting large containers of organic blueberries at Costco all summer.
 
Finally, I like to add something green for the final color dimension of the fruit salad.  In the salad in the photo, I have added organic green grapes.  Never buy conventional grapes (red or green); they are loaded with pesticides.  I like to cut the greens in half to make the salad easier to eat.  Years when organic kiwi are plentiful (not this year), I love to add kiwi for my green color.  I typically add about a cup of green grapes or one kiwi cut into pieces.
 
Don't cut your fruit salad up too far in advance.  Toss when ready to serve.  It is best within a day of when it is made.  This is a great dish to bring to a party in the summer or to serve when you have visitors to your home.
 
This is naturally sweet and delicious and needs nothing else but the fruit.  We make a bowl of fruit salad almost daily in the summer.  Yum, so nutritious, colorful, and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment