Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Summer Squash and Fresh Sage

 
There are not a lot of ways to use fresh sage, but combining it with a summer squash (zucchini, yellow, or patty pan) is very good.

I like to bake it, but last night I decided do something quick and easy, just simply sautéing it.  Fall will be here soon and the summer produce will be gone, so enjoy it now while it is still in season.

This is a typical type recipe that I make - not measuring anything.  It is good to learn to 'eyeball' quantities for easy dishes like this in which quantities are not critical, thus I am not giving you exact quantities.

 

Ingredients:

a couple cups of sliced summer squash (I used yellow straightneck and patty pan from my garden)
~ 1 Tbl extra virgin organic olive oil
a couple Tbls finely chopped red onion (I used one harvested earlier in the summer from my garden)
a couple cloves of garlic
a few grinds of sea salt
a few grinds of black pepper
~ 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (from my garden)
~ 2 Tbl freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Chopped squash, onion and sage leaves.  Mince fresh garlic cloves.  Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet (I used my large cast iron skillet).  When hot (medium temperature), sauté the squash, onion and garlic for a couple minutes.  Turn off heat, season with sea salt and pepper, and stir in finely diced sage leaves.  Place in serving dish and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment