Sunday, November 24, 2013

Baby Kale and Green Tomato Salad

 
I love discovering new dishes that are delicious and use unique ingredients, such as my green tomatoes, so they won't go to waste.  I harvested quite a few small green tomatoes off my plants a few weeks ago before our first freeze.  They will last a month or so stored in this brown grocery bag.  This is the first year I have used green tomatoes in a fresh salad (I usually cook them in Mexican dishes).  I found that they taste great combined with baby kale.  (Please note that there is controversy over eating green tomatoes raw, so start out slowly to make sure they don't upset your stomach.) 


My newest discovery at Costco was this bag of baby kale leaves.  The recipes they had on the bag used the baby kale fresh, so I decided to improvise with one of their recipes.  The result was excellent.  

 
Ingredients:

4 - 6 cups of baby kale
a handful of small green cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup organic golden raisins
a handful of pine nuts

Dressing:

2 Tbl excellent quality organic olive oil (I have been very pleased with the Middle Earth Organics oil that I have pictured below for salads - it is expensive so I never cook with it - just use it in dressings).
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbl white wine vinegar
1 Tbl raw unfiltered honey
freshly ground sea salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Whisk together the dressing ingredients, pour over salad, and toss.  Don't add dressing until right before serving.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment