Friday, November 22, 2013

Whole Grain Pie Crust (Single)



I have always struggled with rolling out a pie crust (thus pies are very special in our house because I don't do it often).  But this year, I decided to learn how to make a great pie crust successfully.  I think I have succeeded and will share my results with you!

Ingredients:

3/4 Prairie Gold whole wheat berries ground fine (or 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup spelt berries ground fine (or 3/4 cup spelt flour)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 stick cold sweet cream organic butter (I use homemade)
2 Tbl organic sour cream (I like Wallaby's or Organic Valley)
7 Tbl chilled, ice-cold filtered water (plus or minus one Tbl)

Grind berries and mix in sea salt.  In a large bowl, cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter.  (Cut the butter into small chunks before adding to flour.)  I cut the butter on my cutting board rather than in my hand so I did not begin to melt it.
 


When crumbly with the largest chunks about the size of a pea, dab the 2 Tbl of sour cream over the surface.  Cut this in also with the pastry cutter.



Then sprinkle 4 Tbl of chilled filtered water over mixture.  With a wood spoon, gather dough together.  Add another 2 to 3 Tbl. of chilled water, and gather into a ball with your wood spoon.  At the very end, as you gather in the last bits, use your hands to form the dough into a ball and then flatten onto a piece of wax paper.  Place another piece of wax paper over the top, place dough in a bag (like a Ziploc), and put in the refrigerator to chill and relax for at least 8 hours (can make several days in advance and store in refrigerator until ready to use).


 
When ready to use, roll the dough out with a rolling pin.  Place in pie pan and trim the edges with a knife.  I then like to form a pretty edge, by pinching the edge and twisting with two fingers.  Finally, prick the surface with a fork (so you don't get a big air bubble while baking). 

 


 Add desired filling and bake per pie directions.  If making a no bake pie, bake the pie crust in oven at 400 °F for 10 to 12 mins.  Cool completely on cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment