Saturday, September 20, 2014

Think out of the box II - Country Soup


I want to share another experience (and recipe) with you to help you with the Week 37 weekly challenge.  My friend, Lorena, is the one who encouraged me to grow in my confidence as a cook, and I hope what she taught me encourages you.  I have tweaked her recipe a bit and never make it the exact same way - but that is part of the lesson she taught me!

When Lorena made this soup for me, she imparted great wisdom that helped me grow to the next level of confidence in my cooking.  She encouraged me that day to ALWAYS tweak my recipes based on what I had on hand and based on how I felt the soup needed to be flavored.  Wow - that was really a 'think-out-of-the box' concept for me.  I learned this from her when the boys were very young and her advice has guided me through the past 15 years.



At the time (and I am still this way), I did not 'taste' foods as I cooked them.  I don't know why I am this way - my husband always asked me how I knew what I was making was any good if I didn't sample it.  I told Lorena this that day when she was making me this soup, and she said, "That is o.k., just let your nose guide you."  Another eye-opener for me - that is how I always cooked and still do - based on how the food is smelling.  I often bake using this same principle.  For example, I can smell when the Thanksgiving turkey is done.

Using my sense of smell when fixing meals works for me.  I know this does not work for most people.  But the important thing is that you recognize what works for you and grow in your area of 'expertise'.  Here is the recipe for Lorena's Country Soup.  It has some interesting spices that I did not own at the time and had never used before.  These spices give this soup a wonderful unique Indian flavor.  I am amazed at the huge number of spices and herbs and flavors that God has given us.  Experiment, learn and enjoy this abundance.

Ingredients:

2 Tbl EV olive oil
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 fresh tomato, chopped,
1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
1 cup greens (spinach, kale, collard, dandelion, etc.)
2 medium potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup beans, cooked (garbanzo, pinto, black, etc.)
2 cups cooked chicken, torn into bite sizes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley (or 1 Tbl fresh parsley)
~1 tsp sea salt, to taste 
freshly ground pepper to taste

5 - 6 cups filtered water

Heat oil in large soup pot (I use my glass pot) over medium heat.  Add the fenugreek, cumin and mustard seeds.  When they start to pop, add onion and garlic and saute a couple minutes.  Next add the remaining vegetables and continue to saute another minute or two.  Add the water, oregano and parsley (unless using fresh, then add herbs at the very end).  Add the rest of the ingredients except the sea salt and pepper.  Simmer until potatoes are soft.  Add* sea salt and pepper.

* When cooking potatoes, never add the salt until the end because the potato will absorb the salt and you will end up adding an unhealthy amount of salt.  In fact, if a dish turns out too salty, you can add a potato to it and cook awhile longer to remove some of the salt (then toss the potato).

No comments:

Post a Comment