Wednesday, August 28, 2013

$0.00 on Over-the-counter and Prescription Medication



Five years ago when I taught classes, I had said that we had spent $0.00 on over-the-counter and prescription medication in the previous ten years.  This $0.00 amount is for all four of us:  Fred is now 55, I am 53, Tom is 18 and Jon is 15.  I think this fact is as unusual for a family in the USA as our diet of eating only foods created by God. 

Since those classes five years ago, I have spent about $5, so I have spent less than $1 a year now over the past 15 years.  What is your yearly medicine bill?  If you feel you cannot afford the best quality FoodsbyGod, take into consideration the money and time you might be paying in other ways as a consequence of your food choices.

So why did I spend $5?  About 4 years ago (after teaching the last set of classes), I bought one bottle of infant dye-free Tylenol for Tom (who was 14 at the time).  He had his last baby tooth extracted, one that would not fall out and which was preventing a permanent tooth from coming in.  The dentist said he would be in a lot of pain and I needed to give him something.  I chose the infant Tylenol, thinking it would take the edge off the pain.  Though Tom was not in pain yet, I gave him one dose.  I watched him closely and he showed no signs of excess pain (nor did he complain), so no more was needed.  Last month, I threw away the rest of the bottle.  That was a waste of money but I wanted to be a 'good' mom and was scared by the dentist into thinking I needed some man-made pain medicine since Tom was only 14. 
 
I did not give him more because over-the-counter medications do not help one's body heal but only mask symptoms and load the liver with toxins.  Instead I like to use anti-inflammatory healing supplements such as garlic and vitamin C or I increase consumption of anti-inflammatory foods in our diet.  There are many wonderful options, such as pineapples, which contain bromelain, an amazing natural anti-inflammatory healing chemical.  (Be aware that if you are having surgery that some supplements thin the blood and must be stopped a week or two before your surgery.)  I cannot offer you an Advil or Tylenol if you are at my house and have a headache or a Tums if you have a stomachache.  We use none of these things and keep none in the house. 
 
So now I have spent about $5.00 once in the past 15 years on over-the-counter medications and $0.00 on prescription medications.  We use minimal supplements too; I don't know the exact amount but less than $20 (probably less than $10) in supplements for the four of us during the year.  Most of my supplements go past their expiration date before we use them up. 
 
So what is in my medicine cabinet?  
 
Tom just went off to college, and thus we got him my basic 'first aid' supplements in case he needs them.  Since I have just been thinking about what these would be, I thought I would share that information with you. 
 
For stressful time periods (to take daily when immunity is low):
 
Cod liver or fish oil (store in refrigerator, I buy Nordic Naturals or Carlsons)
Probiotic (store in refrigerator, there are many good brands)
 
For first signs of cold/flu (sore throat or chills):
 
Healing chicken soup in freezer (must be homemade)
Chicken stock in freezer (must be homemade)
Echinacea/Goldenseal tablets  (take for only 1 - 2 weeks max at a time)
Vitamin C with Rosehips tablets
Garlic tablets (I like the Kyolic brand, odor-free)
 
For stomach virus/food poisoning:
 
Activated charcoal (causes constipation - only take what is needed for nausea or diarrhea)
 
For skin cuts/infections (topical use instead of antibiotic ointments):
 
Colloidal Silver
Tea Tree Oil (not in photo because I gave my bottle to Tom - I prefer to use the colloidal silver)
 
These are the basics that I like to keep on hand or take with me when traveling.  We take no supplements on a regular basis, though if I were not making our own yogurt and kefir, we would take a daily Probiotic. 

Please note, I do not take the Echinacea/Garlic/VitaminC regimen typically when I start to feel that I might be coming down with something.  Taking supplements does not allow my body to build its own immunity, so these are only for special times when I just can't get sick (such as when on a trip or teaching a class, etc.).  Instead of taking these supplements - I eat nutritionally dense foods, such as healing soup, completely cut out all sweets, and try to rest more to allow my body to fight off the infection.  As I stated in a previous post, we eat the foods God has given us, those that are filled with the nutrients our bodies need, and thus we have no need for extra supplements and medicines on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment