Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lunch Salad Which Satisfies



I typically don't snack between meals, but only if I eat a satisfying breakfast and lunch.  So if I have a salad for lunch, I need to add some good protein and fat to it. 
 
For my salads, I always start with a bed of greens, typically spring mix lettuce or baby spinach (I usually buy the one pound organic half and half mix from Costco) though there is nothing better than lettuce from the garden.  (Lettuce is a cool weather crop for North Texas and is easy to grow.)  Triple washed store bought organic lettuce is a quick and easy alternative though.  I also usually add at least one other fresh vegetable to my salad.  On the salad in the photo, I have added sliced organic cucumber (which is a summer crop and thus won't be in season much longer).
 
My favorite protein to add is leftover shredded cooked chicken (it is really good if you pre-grill it as described in the chicken salad recipe).  When I cook chicken, I typically make extra, shred it and put it in the freezer.  It is then easy to take out a bit for a salad.  If you are packing a lunch you don't even need to thaw it first.  Be sure to pack your salad in a insulated lunch bag though and include an ice pack since the meat and dressing need to stay chilled. 
 
For the salad in the photo, I added some sliced ham pieces.  Be sure to buy a ham that is not loaded with additives.  Hard boiled egg is another good protein option for your salad.  I topped my salad with some grated cheese.  Remember to grate the cheese yourself since pre-grated cheese contains anti-caking additives.
 

The last key ingredient is a good salad dressing.  Don't skip the dressing, you need good quality fats in your diet to properly absorb the fat soluble vitamins.  If you are packing your lunch, be sure to put your salad dressing in a separate small container or your salad will be wilted by the time you eat it.  If you don't make your own, buy a good quality dressing.  I like the Annie's Organic Caesar dressing shown in the photo.  The things that I look for in a good dressing are:

 
 
1.  Expeller-pressed or cold-pressed oil (though don't pick ones that contain soy oil).
2.  If sweetened, only with honey, no sugar.
3.  No artificial ingredients (store bought dressings typically contain xanthan gum, which is a thickener and o.k.).
 
I have included some crackers with my salad for this lunch.  It is difficult to find crackers that do not contain ingredients on the foods/ingredients to avoid list.  Most organic crackers contain enriched flour, one of the ingredients that I never eat.  The crackers shown in the photo are something that I picked up at the store recently.  Other Back To Nature crackers contain enriched flour, but this one does not, though they are not organic and are high in salt.  Two other cracker options that are acceptable (though none are optimal) include Mary's Gone Crackers (contains soybeans) and Whole Foods Organic Water Crackers (made with white flour).
 
Developing a good cracker recipe is one of my goals for this coming winter.  In the meantime, I use crackers sparingly.
 
Salads are a great lunch option and there are so many different possibilities you can make.  Let your creative juices flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment